Fork of the Middle Fork Willamette River (Office) Covered
Stream: North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Willamette
Bridge Length (ft): 180
Year Built: 1944
World Guide Number: 37-20-39
Fork of the Middle Fork Willamette River (Office) Covered Bridge
From Interstate 5 take Highway 58 east towards Oakridge. Just before entering
Oakridge, near milepost 31, turn west onto Westridge Ave. Continue to
Westfir on County Road 6128. Travel about 2.5 miles to the mill site,
community and bridge.
The Office Covered Bridge was built in 1944 by the Westfir Lumber Company
and spans the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Willamette River, once
the site of a mill pond at the town of Westfir.
span was constructed for logging trucks and connected a lumber mill and
its office; hence its name.
Bridge is Oregon’s longest covered span at 180 feet.
town, including the bridge, were sold to an investment company in 1977.
In the early 1980s the mill burned and the bridge was closed to traffic.
In 1992 the
bridge became the property of Lane County through tax foreclosure. Extensive
repair work in 1992 stabilized the bridge condition, and in 2002, a new
roof was added.
feature of the span is the covered walkway separate from the roadway.
Because the bridge was built for carrying loaded log trucks, the truss
members are gigantic with multiple tension rods and compound chord members.
The house has horizontal shiplap siding.
"Roofs Over Rivers" by Bill and Nick Cockrell
Information presented in cooperation with the Covered Bridge Society of