of Oregon's early transportation routes resulted from the efforts
of enterprising pioneers like the Boone family of Clackamas County.
In 1846 Alphonso Boone, grandson of Daniel Boone, emigrated to Oregon
via the Applegate Trail with his large family. By 1847, using local
Tuality Indians as oarsmen, they established Boone's Ferry near
this marker. The thriving community of Boone's Landing, genesis
of Wilsonville, quickly sprang up on the river's north shore. The
same year, eldest son Jesse began clearing a path, called Boones
Ferry Road, connecting Portland with Salem. Nearly 100 years later
Interstate 5 was laid parallel to the original roadway.
crossed the Willamette River here for 107 years carrying thousands
of horses, cows, buggies, automobiles, and pedestrians. Jesse Boone
operated the ferry until his death in 1872. The State of Oregon
assumed control of the ferry during the early 1900's, and by the
1950's, a cable-drawn vessel carried up to 12 cars per crossing.
Boone's Ferry was decommissioned in 1954, shortly after completion
of the Boone Bridge.